Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Quake in Japan: There are problems, then there are PROBLEMS

A few days ago I wrote about my problem with upgrading my Writing for Marketers blog in Wordpress. It seems it had been so long several items needed to be upgraded before the site would work again. It's all pretty technical but at least I figured it out.

Now this kind of problem is a major hassle. If your site doesn't work right, people can't read the blog. It also takes a lot of time to figure out what went wrong and make it right again.

Just as I'm breathing a sigh of relief that my blogs are working well again, my wife calls me down to the news. It seems there was a huge earthquake in Japan that set off a tsunami that wiped out a big part of  a city on the north island of Honshu, set off fires in Tokyo, and pointed a tsunami right across the Pacific Ocean toward Hawaii and toward us here in Southern California as well.

My blogs suddenly became far less of a problem compared to what the people of Japan and other parts of the Pacific are now facing. The damage promises to be devastating and the loss of life possibly huge.

I just watched the water sweeping into the city nearest the quake, near drivers on a roadway attempting to get away, taking out buildings like they were matchsticks. Nothing could stop it except time and distance.

Instead of thinking about how bad our problems are, let's take a moment of silence for the people of Japan and the Pacific, who REALLY have problems.

No comments: